Get Adobe Flash player

+1 760 438 8424



Coming from abroad…

Training pilots safely and successfully for over 25 years.

Our students come from many countries all over the world. Many come from Europe, Asia and South America, and some come from as far away Australia, the Middle East and Africa. While most of our international students come from England, France, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Italy and Japan, we have had students come from Sweden, Norway, Rumania, Cypress, Taiwan, Vietnam, Columbia and South Africa, amongst others.

We recognize that travelling so far for flight training can be an intimidating experience, if not a logistical hassle. We are committed to providing our international students with the assistance they need to make the trip go smoothly.

Visa Information

This school is authorized under Federal law to enroll nonimmigrant alien students. It can take anywhere from 1 to 2 weeks for us to obtain all the information we need from the student and process the visa application. The process is very simple and does not require extensive information, however, Civic is required to verify that the student has sufficient funds for the training in order to issue an M-1 visa. Please email us at or call us at 011 1 760 438 8424 if you have questions. Once you contact us, we will start the process by gathering the information we need from you.

For more information on entry requirements for foreign citizens, contact a US Embassy or Consulate in your country. For a list of these offices, visit


  • Civic has arrangments with several hotels nearby for lower rates. The accommodations are generally studio-type accommodations which include full kitchens. Rates for these hotels range from $59-$99 per night during the low season, which is October to May. Rates are approximately $10 to $15 more per night during the high season, which is June through September. Many of these hotels offer discounts for stays of more than one week.
  • There are also many furnished apartments available for rent in the Carlsbad area. This is a nice option for people who intend to stay for longer terms (more than 1 month) and want to have a more home-like environment to return to. These accommodations usually include the cost of utilities and other amenities such as cable television, internet access and convenient access to laundry facilities. This can be a fairly cost-effective option for longer stays, which studio apartments starting at about $800-900 per month.
  • Please contact us if you want more information regarding any of the accommodations options we have mentioned above. Please give us at least 2 weeks notice if you require our assistance in making these arrangements.

Back to top


  • The most convenient and independent way to travel in California is by personal automobile. It is best to arrange to rent a car (there are weekly rental rates from local rental agencies from $130 per week) or buy a car if you are staying for a longer period of time. (It is possible to buy a used car from $1000 to $1500, this makes sense only if you are planning on staying a while and you could sell the car at the end of your stay.) Please feel free to contact us if you want more information on car rentals.
  • Public transportation is an option if you end up staying where you have reasonable access to it. The public bus is a fairly inexpensive way to get around, but this requires greater flexibility on where one lives. Access to public transportation is still limited, and if you intend to use public transportation, this requires some advance planning and you should contact us for more information on where you should stay if you want to have convenient access to public transportation.
  • For students who require it, Civic will send a representative to meet them at the airport upon arrival in San Diego International Airport or Palomar Airport and provide transportation to their accommodations.

Back to top

Travelling Papers, Licenses, and Records

  • A valid passport is required upon entry to the US. Most citizens from the European Union may now enter the US without prior arrangements for tourists visas. For more information on entry requirements for foreign citizens, contact a US Embassy or Consulate in your country. For a list of these offices, visit
  • If you already hold a non-US pilot’s license and intend to earn additional licenses or ratings in the US, be sure to bring your license, logbook (flight hours records), current medical certificate and passport or other government issued photo identification.
  • We can now assist private pilot students in obtaining an FAA to JAA conversion of their license.

Clothing and Other Concerns

  • The Southern California weather is famous for being sunny and warm year round with very little extreme cold or heat. We are located near the coast and it is generally very mild.
  • Warm weather clothing is generally appropriate year round, however, during the winter it is good to have a light to medium weight jacket for the early morning and evenings.
  • Whether it is surfing or going to the beach in the summer or skiing in the winter, there is a huge variety of activities and entertainment in Southern California. Be it on land, at sea or in the sky, we have a little of the best of everything. Like flying, almost all activities go on year round here. To find out more about other things to do while you are here, visit the Carlsbad Chamber of Commerce. If you are coming during the summer or early fall, be sure to bring your swimsuit for visits to the beach.
  • For more information on tourism, culture and activities in the City of Carlsbad go to

Back to top